Application is open for the 2024 UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship. The UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship strives to enhance the capabilities of early career researchers (ECRs) in Africa, empowering them to conduct and share research on population and development topics.
The Union for African Population Studies (UAPS) is dedicated to nurturing a substantial group of proficient, regionally-trained scholars engaged in research and policy development throughout Africa. In the year 2023, a cohort of 20 ECRs will be carefully chosen to further this goal.
Summary of the 2024 UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship
- Host: Union for African Population Studies (UAPS)
- Eligible Countries: African Countries
- Reward: $2,000 grant
- No IELTS Required
- Deadline: November 30, 2023
Details of the 2024 UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship
The primary objective of this fellowship is to enhance the capabilities of early career researchers (ECRs) in Africa. It empowers them to engage in research focused on population and development issues and provides a platform for showcasing their research through prominent avenues like regional conferences and esteemed peer-reviewed journals, such as the Journal of African Population Studies (JAPS).
To be considered for the UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship:
- An African and holds permanent residence in any African country
- Doctoral Candidates conducting research on population and development issues in Africa including Family Planning (FP), Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), and Gender Equality. The fellowship will also sponsor 2 to 3 candidates who are interested in mathematical modeling as applied to FP/SRH and gender equality.
- A paid-up UAPS member (click on the registration link here to become a member)
- Female applicants including those who have had a career break are strongly encouraged to apply
Duration and Reward
- Comprehensive training covering research design, methodologies, data collection and analysis, scientific and grant writing, publication strategies, and mathematical modeling.
- A research grant of up to $2,000 for an approved project focused on Family Planning (FP), Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), and gender equality issues in Africa.
- Access to valuable networking opportunities and mentorship connections with established research institutions specializing in population and development.
- The prospect is to participate in the internship program offered by the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) following the UAPS fellowship.
- Dedicated support for submitting research papers to conferences, including those organized by UAPS, the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP), the Population Association of America (PAA), and other pertinent seminars.
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residence in Africa.
- A motivation letter stating interest in participating in this program.
- An up-to-date resume with a full list of educational and professional activities.
- Two recommendation letters with referees’ contact details. At least one of the letters of recommendation should come from a faculty member and/or dissertation advisor or supervisor with strong knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance.
- Up to 3 pages concept note of your proposed research project on FP/SRH and gender equality issues in Africa.
- A budget and its narrative.
- A fully completed application form must be submitted in English or French. The form, together with program information can be found on the UAPS website (www.uaps-uepa.org).
Who Can Apply for the 2024 UAPS African Research and Data Fellowship
This fellowship is open to professionals with a background or experience in demographic research, data analysis, or related fields. Applicants should have a strong commitment to contributing to the field of African demography.
Method of Application
To complete your application, please gather all necessary documents and consolidate them into a single PDF file. This PDF should be named with your surname, followed by “AfRes-Data Fellowship application.” Should you have any inquiries about the program, kindly visit the fellowship’s official website.